1. GOOD NEWS! DRINKING TEQUILA CAN HELP YOUR DIGESTIVE SYSTEM AND EVEN BOOST WEIGHT LOSS!
Blanco tequila is noted as the "healthiest" because of the benefits of the agave plant, which include agavin (which lowers blood sugar levels) and inulin (which grows good bacteria, helping your stomach digest food).
2. TEQUILA COULD HELP YOU KICK YOUR COLD!
In the 1930s, Mexican recommended a tequila recipe to relieve sore throats and fight off intestinal bacteria.
3. TEQUILA CAN BE TURNED INTO DIAMONDS!
A team of Mexican physicists discovered that tequila's ratio of hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon lies in the diamond growth region, and have actually produced diamonds with it. But sadly, they're too small to make jewellery with.
4. THERE IS A TEQUILA THAT WON'T GIVE YOU A HANGOVER!
Blanco tequila – which is 100% pure agave – doesn't include the sugars, corn syrups and congeners (chemical toxins produced during fermentation) of other spirits, all which contribute to those nasty hangovers.
5. MEXICO IS PRETTY STRICT ON WHAT CAN BE CONSIDERED TEQUILA...
Tequila has to be made in one of five territories defined by Mexican law in order to legally be considered tequila – otherwise, you're just drinking an "agave spirit."
6. THE AZTECS DISCOVERED TEQUILA BY ACCIDENT (as the story goes)
Legend has it that the Aztecs witnessed a lightning bolt strike an agave plant, and after the plant cooled, discovered a syrupy liquid oozing from it which smelled and tasted sweet. They noticed that if left alone, it would ferment into a unique and "powerful" beverage.
7. THEY BELIEVED IT WAS A GIFT FROM THE GODS, (don't we all?)
It was even believed that this fermented agave juice, "tequila", gave drinkers the ability to communicate with the gods when consumed.
8. ASKING FOR LIME AND SALT IS ASSOCIATED WITH CHEAP TEQUILA
Salt and lime were introduced in the late 19th century to mask the flavor of cheap tequila, which was being mass-produced at the time.
9. TEQUILA SHOULD BE SIPPED, NOT SHOT, BECAUSE ITS ACTUALLY FANCY AS F*CK!
We've all heard LMFAO ft. Lil Jon - "Shots", but you won't find many Mexican locals consuming it this way. In Mexico, tequila is a sophisticated spirit that you sip slowly to savor the flavor.
10. YOU CAN BUY TEQUILA FOR £1 ON AT FLARE MONDAYS!!!